As a scientist, designer, and artist I’ve been interested in why images affect us my whole life. During my time training as a painter, I learned how to make people feel with visualizations and as a designer, I mastered the skills of communicating with them. Learning how to make successful images planted a deep seeded desire in me to know WHY images work. How is it possible that an ad can make you hungry, or artwork can make you happy? How is it that particular architectural or interior design can make us feel relaxed in a space while others make us feel uncomfortable? These questions inspired me to study the neuroscience of design and art.
Credentials: I have an MFA in painting and design, an MS in cognitive neuroscience, and I’m currently finishing my Ph.D. studies in cognitive neuroscience.
- Padilla, L. M., Quinan, S.P., Meyer, M., Creem-Regehr, S. H. (In press). Evaluating the Impact of Binning 2D Scalar Fields. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- Padilla, L. M., Stefanucci, J., Cashdan, E., Creem-Regehr, S. H. (In press). Sex differences in virtual navigation influenced by scale and navigation experience . Psychonomic Bulletin & Review.
- Padilla, L. M. (2016). Sex differences in virtual navigation influenced by visual factors and individual differences. ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global.
- Ruginski, I. T., Boone, A. P., Padilla, L. M., Liu, L., Heydari, N., Kramer, H. S., Creem-Regehr, S. H. (2016). Non-expert interpretations of hurricane forecast uncertainty visualizations. Spatial Cognition & Computation
- Vashro, L., Padilla, L., & Cashdan, E. (2015). Sex Differences in Mobility and Spatial Cognition. Human Nature, 1–19.
- Cashdan, E., Kramer, K. L., Davis, H. E., Padilla, L., & Greaves, R. D. (2015). Mobility and Navigation among the Yucatec Maya. Human Nature, 1–16.
- Padilla, L., Hansen, G., Ruginski, I., Kramer, H., Thompson, W., & Creem- Regehr, S. (2014). The influence of different graphical displays on non-expert decision making under uncertainty. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied.